Home Community Digest and Discussion
Announcement:: Please see our new COVID-19 category where small businesses can engage with other business owners and experts to share best practices, information and other resources that will help us all get through this crisis.

Has your in-store foot traffic or any other customer trends been impacted by vaccine hopes?

Kevin_SBMKevin_SBM Small Business Engagement ManagerMember admin

With the vaccine currently being rolled out to various populations, a few retail stores in our community have noted a decline in foot traffic in-store over the last month. They've heard some are taking extra precautions to ensure they do not get COVID-19 prior to getting the vaccine.

Our question is: Have you seen a decline or increase in foot traffic in-store over the last month? Have you noticed any other new consumer trends that are impacting your business?

Comments

• brandonlindleybrandonlindley Managing Member Member

For my Scottsdale AZ store, foot traffic has declined drastically after the New Year. Operating in an indoor mall with multiple tenants closing and ongoing closure of the Apple Store as an anchor store has has devastating effects on the flow of foot traffic in our wing. I have experienced 9-days so far in 2021 with zero foot traffic and zero sales.
    For my Palm Springs CA store, the California Stay-At-Home order killed all tourism to the area when the weather would be perfect for golf, tennis and outdoor dining. The order was lifted last week and it will take some time to get the word out that California is open again for leisure travel or to get out of the cold parts of the US.

• CurvesStrongCurvesStrong Owner Member

Personally in our family, we switched to using on-line grocery shopping due to the new virus strain. As for my customers attending Curves Specialty Classes on Zoom a big up-tick in attendance when it was raining all week. Then we saw a small drop when the County moved to 'Purple Tier' and curfew lifted because customers had hair appointments or getting their vaccines. As more and more customers gets their vaccines then they are letting me know they are looking forward to returning to the in-door Curves gym. Stay Safe Everyone.

• jssweanyjssweany Owner Member

I am lucky if I see 2 -3 people in my shop over the course of a day. ONly one person has been in for Valentines shopping, so all my VD inventory was a loss. Foot traffic is drastically down, and I believe it is a combo of general COVID fatigue and waiting for the vaccine to be available. 1st QTR in retail is always challenging, but this is insane.
    Temps are colder than last month though and we've had some snowfall and many days of dreary grayness, so seasonal depression coupled with virus exhaustion could be very much at play. Small businesses need more help, and the new restrictions on PPP make a realtively new business disqualified. Had to lay off my part time employee to only 4 hours/wk :(
    Juniper Art Gallery
    Specer, IN

• Angela6405Angela6405 Owner Member

I'm very blessed with the business that I have because I'm a Tax & Finance Accountant...All the clients that I have that are living in this area has been dropping off. but most have been mailing, emailing, faxing, or just dropping their information off. the ones that comes in person has come to me in full gear. Masked and gloves :)

Angela's Tax & Financial Services LLC
    Morningside, Maryland

• Kevin_SBMKevin_SBM Small Business Engagement Manager Member admin

@brandonlindley I'm really sorry to hear about the double hit from the reduced foot traffic in AZ and the stay-at-home orders in CA. Please keep up posted as you notice changes. Your feedback has been really helpful to provide context for those in your industry. Stay safe!

@CurvesStrong said:
    As more and more customers gets their vaccines then they are letting me know they are looking forward to returning to the in-door Curves gym. Stay Safe Everyone.

That's really reassuring! I'm glad clients are reaching out. We know the gym industry has been hit particularly hard, so getting any feedback on the positive end is great. Please stay safe as well!

@Angela6405 Thanks so much for sharing your experience here. Very glad that you have clients reaching out during this time. And glad that everyone is being safe when coming in person. Continue to stay safe out there!

@jssweany said:
    I am lucky if I see 2 -3 people in my shop over the course of a day. Only one person has been in for Valentines shopping, so all my VD inventory was a loss. Foot traffic is drastically down, and I believe it is a combo of general COVID fatigue and waiting for the vaccine to be available. 1st QTR in retail is always challenging, but this is insane.
    Temps are colder than last month though and we've had some snowfall and many days of dreary grayness, so seasonal depression coupled with virus exhaustion could be very much at play. Small businesses need more help, and the new restrictions on PPP make a relatively new business disqualified. Had to lay off my part-time employee to only 4 hours/wk :(

I'm very sorry to hear about the VD inventory. And you bring up a great point about the COVID fatigue and seasonal depression working at the same time as vaccine waiting.

If you don't mind me asking, what does Q1 normally look like compared to this year? Your feedback is really helpful in providing context for the challenges retail businesses are facing. I have heard a few other stories in the last week sharing similar problems with foot traffic.