Home COVID-19: Resources and Discussions for Small Businesses
Announcement:: Please see our new COVID-19 category where small businesses can engage with other business owners and experts to share best practices, information and other resources that will help us all get through this crisis.

PPP Forgiveness for S-Corp non-W-2 Owner-Employee Distributions

Just took an informative webinar in which Brian and David presented on small business relief opportunities and found that my company may indeed be eligible to get forgivable PPP assistance.

We are an S-Corp with no W-2's and only pay out periodic distributions to our two owner employees.

I had previously been told by a potential lender that without W-2 employees the business was not eligible to apply.
Based on the information in Brian and David's webinar, it appears that the situation may have changed.

What information do I need to verify our eligibility and successfully get through the application process?

Appreciate any insight that will help us navigate this process,


  • Brian_SBMBrian_SBM Vice President, Entrepreneurship Administrator admin

    @ellaprint Thanks for writing. Your lender was correct in that owner draws are not eligible for PPP, since they are not taxed. As an S-Corp owner, though, you are required to pay yourself a reasonable salary and pay taxes on that amount. Whatever that amount is should qualify you for PPP. K-1 distributions are not covered, but whatever the owner/employees reasonable compensation is should.

  • ellaprintellaprint owner Member

    Hi Brian,
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Makes good sense - I'm feeling much more confident about how to move forward in conversation with potential PPP lenders.
    Thank you,

  • klentz426klentz426 President Member

    I am unsure what owner draws are but dividends are taxed. So if you have a payroll that paid through payroll company and that has reached its max for double fica and now you are under dividend payments so you do not have 941s and you have to pay directly to the state and federal governments your taxes, how do send documentation of those dividend payments by your K-1 form you create end of the year?

  • Brian_SBMBrian_SBM Vice President, Entrepreneurship Administrator admin
    edited July 2020

    @klentz426 It's my understanding that K1 distributions are not considered for PPP eligibility, only the payroll portion of your earnings.

Sign In or Register to comment.